Print Previous Topic Next Topic

firefly does not requires cooling?

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits

firefly does not requires cooling?

Posted at 12/14/2014 09:47:30      View:4635 | Replies:7        Print      Only Author   [Copy Link] 1#

Hi,

i just received my 2 firefly boards, and after the assembly of the acrylic box, i see a space for a cooler, is it necessary? as i don't even see a sink in the cpu, is safe to turn it on and use it at full power whiteout it or a cooler?

Thanks.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 12/14/2014 12:42:35        Only Author  2#
shadowofsoul is completely correct and 100% right. The unit will run 24/7 possibly 365 days a year out of the box. My name is cappybob and I am an Android guy because I have 13 grandchildren who will play with Android before nothing else and my children are starting to push 40 this is also true with them. I am playing with the limits of the Firefly. Out of the box will run forever or until the roaches work on the board the for a hundred years. Preliminary results at 1.96 GHZ with heat sink will run a respectable 55 to 60 C. subtract 15 C with fan and we would have another 24/7 and possibly 365 day unit.   Now currently working with good results of a 2.112GHZ running 24/7 approaching the Intel I 3series M mobile cpus.   So please do not take my statements of heat sinks, fans, and or power supplies as being needed for use or the normal user, for a normal user I am Not.  And I believe that the Firefly may be one of the first to break the 2.0 GHZ bearier.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 12/15/2014 15:35:55        Only Author  3#
That's amazing,?cappybob. You are pushing the board to a new limit. Is it stable with large 3D games or benchment tools?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 12/15/2014 18:02:36        Only Author  4#

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 12/16/2014 02:22:27        Only Author  5#
At 2.01, really a lot more reliable than, but 2112 having more software issues than Kernel.  Just built another ASOP android with the Kernel to see if helps.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 12/16/2014 02:24:41        Only Author  6#

I would be amazed if it did need cooling as there is so much air around the unit for heat to dissipate.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 12/16/2014 15:20:28        Only Author  7#
When I get mine next week I'm gonna be setting up some decent air cooling for it and try for 2.5ghz. I have an unused desktop heatsink and some others from my old  GPUs I can rig up. Has anyone tried memory overclocking or seeing if we can do it? GPU too? I want to push this as far as I can c:

PS. Thought I recognized Cappy from somewhere, you in the radxa forums too right?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 12/17/2014 03:56:57        Only Author  8#
Echoa:

That do be me there also, I have been surprised over the performance of the Firefly. If you are going to be pushing performance be advised that there do be a secret of the Firefly, like behind an unopen door, install "Setcpu" and you will have a wonderful sensor for cpu heat in both F and C. Also another where one can go the other way and actually reduce power usage of the cpu with little if any loss in performance. Many surprises can be found with this unit and as it says, It is a development board.

Use props Report

High mode
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies |Upload

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list