Firefly Open Source Community

Login   |   Register   |
New_Topic
Print Previous Topic Next Topic

Does updating the kernel from 4.4.x to 4.13.x require new u-boot.img?

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 9/22/2017 00:08:20      1#
Were you ever able to get 4.13.x running?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 9/30/2017 01:58:02      2#
I understand, real life comes first. I was able to compile kernel 4.13 and u-boot then tried using the bootloader and trust.img from slackware-current because it seems the most up to date. Unfortunately the device refuses to boot with the new kernel.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 10/1/2017 03:21:22      3#
Interesting, I never checked the differences between the .configs. I recently got slackware-current working and was trying to see if just swapping out the /boot/Image (kernel) would be sufficient. I tried using the one I compiled as well as the kernel from http://co.us.mirror.archlinuxarm ... rch64-latest.tar.gz but neither booted. I also tried using
  1. mkimage -A arm64 -O linux -T kernel -a 0 -e 0 -n Linux -d boot/Image ../uImage
Copy the code
on the Image and also the initramfs-linux.img provided from the tar.gz, still no luck. Also tried all the previous attempts with the dtb provided in the tar.gz.

I wonder if the 4.13 kernel is just missing code required to run the rk3399-firefly. (Maybe this is what you are suggesting)

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 10/12/2017 08:39:32      4#

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 10/20/2017 00:10:32      5#
almost none of the power regulators have drivers, some security stuff is missing

This is something that I think is holding me back at the moment but I'll talk more about that later.

I got 4.15 from the rockchip kernel from kernel.org booted and it was working. It booted up into arch (my rootfs) and I proceeded to customize it. A quick reboot and no hdmi signal...

A serial debug shows that u boot hands off to the kernel but no signal. So I restarted it and got signal, but this time after the kernel hand off there is just a blinking underscore in the top left.

As I stated earlier, the missing drivers, etc. seem to be a likely culprit. I built a kernel last night that appears to have more fixes. Will try it out today or tomorrow.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 10/20/2017 00:20:56      6#
Also, as you pointed out, I noticed (while I had the kernel working) the wifi module was not showing up. So no wifi but Ethernet did work. Can only imagine how many other devices didn't work that I didn't try.

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list