Print Previous Topic Next Topic

IR receiver setup - help needed

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits

IR receiver setup - help needed

Posted at 1/5/2015 23:52:36      View:14506 | Replies:15        Print     [Copy Link] 1#

Hi,

I am a newbie with the RK3288 development board, but I have a fair amount of Linux experience (not a programmer though). I still cannot figure out how to setup the built-in IR receiver to work with e.g. a Microsoft MC remote. I have tried to locate the file and the directory discussed in the wiki (
http://wiki.t-firefly.com/index.php/Fir ... 3288/IR/en
), but I haven't gotten anywhere.

I gather that I have to do some low level hacking to enable the IR, and I am prepared to try if someone could help me out with a more thourough how-to description.

Thank you!

Tomas

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/6/2015 18:21:34      2#
Problem is that nothing happens, Firefly with kodi doesn't react to any remote key presses (Microsoft MC remote) . I thought I had to activate the driver somehow, but I haven't been able to figure out how.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/8/2015 00:32:53      3#

Thanks for the help, but?I am not a software developer and still don't understand the instructions. I have fair knowledge of a Linux system, but not on the level of compiling my own kernel etc. Let me post some questions to indicate which level I am at:

1) Can I access the files referred to on the device through ADB on my PC? I tried to locate them from the Lubuntu boot, but no luck.

2) Do I need to compile a new linux kernel in order to enable IR reception on the RK3288? If so, why is IR not enabled in the kernel that ships with the board?

3) Once enabled, will the IR receiver work with the Microsoft MC remote, which works out of the box with Kodi (with a working IR receiver of course) or do I need to somehow remap the NEC encode format?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/9/2015 01:16:35      4#

Thank you for the detailed input! I will try it out as soon I get the ADB tools working on any of my Ubuntu PCs. As it is now "adb devices" doesn't show anything (I have USB debugging on the RK3288 turned on) and adb shell gives me "error: device not found".

OK, several hours later I finally managed to adb into the board and I have come to step 3 in your description. Then I can't find the "DATA DBG and its tail"...?Could you please just give me a hint of the filenames and directories I am looking for? Or which grep command should I use to find the files you are referring to?

Thank you!

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/9/2015 16:03:16      5#

Thank you leungtek. Still a few questions:

In step 1. might there be a missing " in the line?root@firefly:/ # echo 1 > /sys/module/rk_pwm_remotectl/parameters/dbg_level" ?

In step 3. where (or how) do I find the file containing?"GET USERCODE=" ?

In step 4. when I try to cd into?kernel/drivers/input/remotectl/ I get error "no such file or directory". Do I have to download the source code from the firefly site?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/9/2015 17:36:37      6#
Ok, maybe I understand now. The command in step 3. dmesg | grep "USERCODE=" is supposed to output that line of dmesg. Problem is it shows nothing. I guess that means that the IR receiver registered nothing, or?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/9/2015 18:53:52      7#

Until I get a better understanding of the process, I went ahead and ordered a flirc usb IR receiver (
https://flirc.tv/product/flirc/
). It is supposed to work with Android, MCE remote and Kodi/XBMC.

Maybe there will be firmware with the IR enabled?available from Firefly in the future.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/9/2015 18:58:47      8#

it will show the log when click the ir ?remote.

I don't know where to find the log.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/14/2015 05:16:47      9#

$ adb shell cat /proc/kmsg

I get /proc/kms: No such file or directory

$ adb logcat

I get an endless list scrolling down the screen

I have installed my flirc-dongle and configured it to work with Kodi, so I am fine for now. It would, however be nice to just download and install an image where the IR receiver could be set up through some app in Android or Lubuntu.

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list