New_Topic

Hardware accelerated video playback in Linux

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/8/2015 00:40:43     

RK3288 supports hardware accelerated video playback and I can see that in Android H.264 and HEVC videos are being played with h/w acceleration – 4K looks amazing! However I cannot achieve such performance in Ubuntu. Built-in Mplayer and VLC both seem to lag greatly due to using software decoding.

Is h/w accelerated video playback available in Linux? What I need is a full-screen player for network streams (UDP/RTP), ideally it should work with interlaced video and output it via HDMI in interlaced mode.

Would greatly appreciate input from anyone experienced in that matters, thank you!

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

advanced

Credits
Posted at 1/8/2015 01:46:56     

"RK3288 supports hardware accelerated video playback and I can see that in Android H.264 and HEVC videos are being played with h/w acceleration – 4K looks amazing! However I cannot achieve such performance in Ubuntu. Built-in Mplayer and VLC both seem to lag greatly due to using software decoding.

Is h/w accelerated video playback available in Linux? What I need is a full-screen player for network streams (UDP/RTP), ideally it should work with interlaced video and output it via HDMI in interlaced mode.

Would greatly appreciate input from anyone experienced in that matters, thank you!"

No, it's not available.

It's on schedule according to Rockchip.

Android Lollipop is also going to be released before Chinese New Year festival.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/8/2015 01:55:14     
dewet:thank you for quick reply! ?Will wait forupdates then…

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

super moderator

Credits
Posted at 1/8/2015 14:26:47     

If you only need a full-screen player .you can try 2d-accelerated with rga and lcdc scale .I have tried once ,it's work well.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/10/2015 03:54:53     
Let's hope we will see hardware acceleration on linux soon.

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list