Firefly Open Source Community

Login   |   Register   |
New_Topic
Print Previous Topic Next Topic

First-pass build / flash leaves rk3288 stuck at Firefly splash screen - why?

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 2/27/2015 22:50:30        Only Author  1#

First-pass build / flash leaves rk3288 stuck at Firefly splash screen - why?

Hello:

This is my first posting to the wiki, please bear with me if I've overlooked anything.

My problem is that after building / flashing the SDK / kernel according to the instructions on the
wiki, after reboot, the device goes so far as to display a Firefly splash screen, but goes no further.

Here are the wiki pages I used:
http://wiki.t-firefly.com/index.php/Fir ... android/en
http://wiki.t-firefly.com/index.php/Fir ... h_image/en

After the kernel and SDK builds completed, I executed ./mkimage.sh then used rkflashkit to
flash these images from the ~project/rockdev/Image-rk3288/ folder:

boot
kernel
misc
recovery
resource
system

My expectation was that after flashing the partitions, the device would function like as-new-out-of-the-box,
but that didn't happen.

Side-note: prior to flashing the partitions I backed up the originals. When it became clear the
board wasn't going to function normally after the flashing described above, I restored from backups,
rebooted and the board functioned perfectly.

As a newbie to the rk3288, wanted to ask a few questions for clarification:

1) Did I miss any steps? The wiki documentation is decent, it seems reasonable to expect that
following the steps to build / flash the (untouched, unmodified) kernel and SDK source would
result in device rebooting into a normal functioning state. Was that expectation incorrect?

2) Exactly what should have been flashed in a generic first-pass through the kernel / SDK build
test like this? I flashed the images above because the wiki (correctly) noted those were the
images that would be found after executing rkflashkit. But upon reading wiki flashing instructions,
there is reference to information for other partitions, e.g. parameter and bootloader.

3) Speaking of parameter and bootloader, where would those files be located?
I would have thought they'd be found in ~project/rockdev/Image-rk3288/ folder after the generic build
described in the wiki, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Any assistance that can be provided here would be much appreciated, and apologies in advance if
I've overlooked something, am still becoming familiar with this device and environment.

Finally, fwiw, my build environment is 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS running in a vm under Vmware Fusion.
The vm is configured for 8 processors, approx. 16MB memory, 150GB disk. Serial-to-USB debug not yet
connected, cable is suppsed to arrive today.

Thanks for your help!

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

vip

Credits
Posted at 2/28/2015 16:12:26        Only Author  2#

Re: First-pass build / flash leaves rk3288 stuck at Firefly splash screen - why?

can you show the debug serial message, and which git's commit have you updated to?
parameter and bootloader can find at FFTools/AndroidTool_Release_v2.33.rar in sdk.
you can try to flash parameter first.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 3/4/2015 08:46:46        Only Author  3#

Re: First-pass build / flash leaves rk3288 stuck at Firefly splash screen - why?

zhansb:

Since original posting, I tracked down the parameter file from location you referenced, flashed it, and the device booted.

So the parameter file seems to have been the issue.

A final question for this posting: can you briefly explain why the parameter file and bootloader are not included with the sdk (android/kernel) download?

Thank you.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

vip

Credits
Posted at 3/4/2015 09:40:49        Only Author  4#

parameter can find at  FFTools/parameter/
bootloader can compile in u-boot dir by yourself(refer to http://wiki.t-firefly.com/index.php/Firefly-RK3288/Uboot/en)
But you can find it in FFTools/AndroidTool_Release_v2.33.rar  finally.

I hope that helps.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 4/3/2015 11:59:52        Only Author  5#
Last edited by aguru In 4/3/2015 13:19 Editor

Flashed the parameter file but now the board keeps rebooting itself in a loop. Also would appreciate a tip on how to connect the USB to RS232 serial for debugging.
Thanks,

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

vip

Credits
Posted at 4/3/2015 16:41:26        Only Author  6#

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list