Print Previous Topic Next Topic

Flashing new kernel.img and resources.img

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits

Flashing new kernel.img and resources.img

Posted at 6/25/2015 10:27:12      View:4488 | Replies:3        Print      Only Author   [Copy Link] 1#
Hi everyone,

I am working on some modifications on the kernel device-tree (Firefly) and as the kernel re-compilation ends, the new images kernel.img and resources.img are ready to be flashed.

Using the Rockchip tools (AndroidTool v2.3 for Windows) I can successfully flash these images on the board however changes do not take effect.

Looking at the bash script mkimage.sh, developers can decide to create an OTA compatible boot image (boot.img) and same for the recovery image (recovery.img) which can also contain the kernel image itself.

In case boot.img and/or recovery.img already contain the kernel image, will flashing a stand-alone kernel.img be ignored until new boot.img/recovery.img are flashed as well?

Thank you!

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 6/25/2015 12:59:36        Only Author  2#
If boot.img contains kernel (OTA mode), it will take precedence over kernel.img, which means kernel.img is always ignored.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 6/25/2015 22:51:54        Only Author  3#
I have always been told that one will have to also tick on the parameter to reenter the new Kernel and Resource.img's.  I assume that this will show where to load these .img's in the partician.

later----cappybob

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 6/26/2015 08:29:55        Only Author  4#
Thanks folks!

In the end, I solved the problem by compiling the full Android SDK and creating (then flashing) a boot.img without kernel - now every time I flash a modified kernel.img and resource.img the new kernel (and device tree) are correctly initialised!

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list