Print Previous Topic Next Topic

Kernel 3.14 or above for ubuntu 14.04 is required

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 3/24/2016 15:37:33        Only Author  21#
Hi @tedd77, what specific feature you'd like from kernel newer than 3.10 ?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 3/24/2016 20:19:25        Only Author  22#
busybee Posted at 3/24/2016 15:37
Hi @tedd77, what specific feature you'd like from kernel newer than 3.10 ?

I wanted to compile some voice codecs and for that I should be able to run the following command without getting any errors.
apt-get install -y linux-headers-`uname -r`

I thought the purpose of the topic is to get a newer or a supported kernel version. The version 3.10 seems to be very old and not supported anymore.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 3/25/2016 18:03:08        Only Author  23#
According to https://www.kernel.org/ ,  version 3.10 is the LTS version, and it is the vendor version which is feature rich and stable.

We did not pack a linux-headers-xxx package, and you can not apt-get that from official repository.
This package only contains the linux kernel headers.

Since you have the kernel source code. It is farely easy build the module from it, by speicifying the kernel source directory in the command line. Please see the module readme.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 3/25/2016 18:45:12        Only Author  24#
busybee Posted at 3/25/2016 18:03
According to https://www.kernel.org/ ,  version 3.10 is the LTS version, and it is the vendor versio ...

Hello ,
I am not a linux guru as I told you from the beginning, I would really appreciate if you can help me complete this task.
My goal is to be able to compile on your board without having issues related to linux headers.
Could you please send me the commands in order to overcome this obstacle?
----
Since you have the kernel source code. It is farely easy build the module from it, by speicifying the kernel source directory in the command line.  <<< do this on the firefly board or on my linux machine ? and what is the command ? >>>>>

Please see the module readme. <<<<< what module readme ? where is it ?>>>>>>
--------------
Thank you in advance

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 3/30/2016 15:30:49        Only Author  25#
In your prevous post, you mention that
I wanted to compile some voice codecs and for that I should be able to run the following command without getting any errors.
"

The compiling is very specific. The readme should be in  doc of the voice codecs.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 3/30/2016 16:51:22        Only Author  26#
Last edited by tedd77 In 3/30/2016 17:38 Editor
busybee Posted at 3/30/2016 15:30
In your prevous post, you mention that
"

Hello Busybee,

After letting me struggle for over a month, you finally realized that your image/board does not come with linux headers package. I am now more disappointed.
I do not regret giving you the benefit of the doubt, at least now I know that your board has a major handicap when it comes to linux. therefore I consider the time wasted a contribution from me towards those who are thinking of buying your board.

Today your board is a pure android oriented device so people trying to use it with Linux must understand that there are obstacles that cannot be overcome.

What does it take you to build an image with linux headers packed ? I am very confident that a huge community is looking for a powerful board like yours with  full fledged linux. At this point unfortunately I regret to say that it is not the case of your board.

Finally I do not expect a positive answer and I consider this case closed. I hope my experience will help Linux fans to think twice before making a decision.

Use props Report

Return to List
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list