Credits

Prestige

Contribution

advanced

Credits
Posted at 3/6/2016 00:52:22      1#
Hi busybee,

My recommendation would be:

1) switch from ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 ASAP. when 16.04 is out there on some other hardware/devices (intel/amlogic/...) and you dont support 16.04 within a year or so, then linux on rk3288 is dead. this happened with all rk3188 linux releases/devices. then 14.04 is old news and not supported: from 2017 nobody wants to develop or release 14.04 based stuff anymore. just like nobody wants to use 12.04 right now anymore. just go to 16.04 ASAP! or you'll miss the future...

2) for that you probably need an updated linux kernel (4.4.1+), so upgrade and keep up with the mainstream kernel ASAP. or upgrade to mminds work for rk3288 device as he is following mainstream kernel - piggybacking. see https://github.com/mmind/linux-r ... vel/somewhat-stable.

3) get X11 with mali support working, just because it is possible: ARM has done its job by releasing its X11 user space drivers (OK, after a way too long time), so now it's up to others, like us (comunity devs, companies). you probably need step 2) for this, i.e. a more recent kernel 4.2+ or so. (mmind has X11 with GPU support working on rk3288 (veyron) working for a year or so: it is possible.)
if you get X11 with GPU support working, then you would be on par with most simple desktop pc's.

4) when X11 GPU support is available (step 3), it is a small step to get VPU decoding and encoding support done. I would be happy to do so. Also just because it is possible and very feasible. Using libhybris: either a complete ffmpeg library or even better a good v4l2 driver on kernel level for more generic decoding/encoding support.
if we get this working, firefly would be a great desktop PC, no compromise: a winner! the rk3288 has all the power inside, just like a ferrari! should just be unleashed, otherwise it is a shame.

my 2 cents,

cheers -- mac_l1

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list