[Linux] How to replace kernel without building entire upgrade_image GPT

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 2/18/2019 09:26:10     
Last edited by KD0OHR In 2/18/2019 09:40 Editor

I have compiled a new kernel with some patches and I have not been able to just swap kernels like before with the new GPT system. I have the parameter-recovery.text and parameter-ubuntu.txt files and boot.img, but am not sure how to proceed. I get an error message about "Config file not found DMA reset" I've tried writing the .img to the SD card with
  1. dd if=boot.img of=/dev/sdb3
Copy the code

Was unsuccessful. Also noticed that to get the SD card back to bootable I had to re-write the whole beginning of the SD card starting from 0 count=24575 instead of just sdb3 to make it bootable again.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 2/18/2019 12:36:05     
I did end up making it work by following the instructions on page http://wiki.t-firefly.com/en/Firefly-RK3399/linux_compile_gpt.html and substituting rootfs for a DD image of the rootfs on the card where I was trying to update the kernel and running ./build.sh sdbootimg but still, quite a bit of overhead just to build the kernel.

Also the kernel compile was successful on the board itself with some tweaks but I'm not sure it would have worked, maybe cross-compiling is more reliable. I guess I can just leave the sdk on my local computer and make the changes there, re-running the scripts to re-build the kernel in the future unless someone has a quick and easy way to update the kernel

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

vip

Credits
Posted at 2/20/2019 17:19:03     
you could check the build.sh to see how the firmware is built,
then you'll have the idea of how to replace the kernel image only.

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list