New_Topic

Inconveniences when QA using ubuntu operating system

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 10/20/2021 12:06:50     
I would like to analyze from the perspective of the project that does not require a test environment, QA uses ubuntu as the default operating system.

Difficult to get used to and use:

For ubuntu operating system you need about 4-6 weeks to adapt and understand how to use. Since it is an open source operating system, you have to remember a lot of commands, which is more difficult when you get used to the mouse clicks on windows.

Some software is not supported

There is some software that is very important to QA but cannot be installed on ubuntu:

Microsoft office: because QA has to do a lot of work on the office suite, especially excel, this is a huge limitation. Libre office on ubuntu is very difficult to manipulate, although you can install Kingsoft, the toolkit is still not as rich as Microsoft office.
Screen capture and video recording software: Getting evidence is extremely important during the test, but the software on ubuntu is very limited. If on windows we can use snagit as an active tool, on ubuntu it is impossible to install. If you are using ubuntu for testing then you can try shutter.
IE: If you use ubuntu and the customer has a requirement to test on IE with many versions, then this is really a difficult problem. The installation of IE on ubuntu is relatively complicated and needs the support of the infra team (in my case, the infra team can't install IE on ubuntu)
In addition, some applications such as skype, webcam, music players, movies, graphics are very limited.
Less popular

The number of ubuntu users is just over 1% of all computer users. So using ubuntu as a test environment is not a wise choice. Sometimes your product runs well on the test environment (ubuntu) but in fact encounters a lot of errors on the environment used by most users (on windows, mac OS) that are caused by differences in operating systems. onion.

Difficulty installing, upgrading and managing applications.
Although currently on Ubuntu there is a support program that makes it easier to install and upgrade software, but most of the software must be installed with the command command, which is difficult to remember and difficult for newcomers. start using. For example, setting the Japanese language on ubuntu is also a challenge for QAs when starting to use ubuntu.taming io

Conclusion: In general, Ubuntu is an operating system with many advantages but also some disadvantages when using it. Should consider the location and usage needs to choose the right operating system when working. From a personal point of view, I find Ubuntu very convenient for Dev, but for QA and comtor, windows is still the preferred choice.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 11/12/2021 13:33:17     
I  think the problem is that not evey QA engineer clearly understands what it means to be QA. After reading this post https://perfectial.com/blog/software-qa-engineer-explained/ I started looking at this profession from the other side.

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list