Print Previous Topic Next Topic

[Linux] Issues with GUI apps on ROC-RK3588-PC Ubuntu 20.04 Gnome

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits

【Linux】 Issues with GUI apps on ROC-RK3588-PC Ubuntu 20.04 Gnome

Posted at 7/11/2022 05:25:11      View:2437 | Replies:3        Print      Only Author   [Copy Link] 1#
There's clearly a problem with many GUI apps on Ubuntu 20.04 Gnome firmware for this board. On my board the LibreOffice suite apps (Writer, Calc, etc) that are preinstalled in Gnome firmware crash when I start them. I also installed some other apps via apt  and some of them don't work as well. For example Wireshark crashes just like LibreOffice but it prints a log message about  to not being able to run with Wayland. After I've seen this, I have tried to start XOrg session instead of Wayland and hoping that it will fix this, but with XOrg gnome fails to login. I can provide any logs that are required however I don't think this it's necessary since this issues are reproducible in one click on bare bone Ubuntu firmware.

So what should a user that wants to try this machine as a GUI box do?

1) Wait for Firefly crew to release a more refined firmware?
2) Recompile firmware himself with some special flags? Maybe recompile for XOrg?
3) Anything else?

The experience with minimal ubuntu firmware and  terminal apps is rather smooth and I have not faced any serious  issues. Since this board is so powerfull it's really tempting to try it as a GUI box, however this situation with some GUI apps basically makes it impossible.... What should we do?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 7/11/2022 10:41:20        Only Author  2#
Please provide an example and process that reproduces the problem.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 7/12/2022 03:43:42        Only Author  3#
Last edited by vga84 In 7/12/2022 03:46 Editor

Steps to reproduce issues that I mentioned in the first post:

1) Install update_tool (v2.1) for linux RK3588 to /usr/local/bin as Firefly wiki suggests
2) Get current Ubuntu Gnome firmware (ROC-RK3588S-PC_Ubuntu20.04-Gnome-r21164_v1.0.0c_220622)
3) Extract the firmware to your linux box
4) Checksum the image, just to make sure we work with the same firmware (I renamed the firmware file to ubuntu-gnome.img to shorten commands)
  1. $ md5sum ubuntu-gnome.img
  2. 354db4fa8b5b4087cf15590f695e8f6d  ubuntu-gnome.img
Copy the code
5) Connect ROc-3588S-PC via type-C, push the recovery button and boot the board up
6) Flash the UbuntuGnome firmware as follows
  1. $ sudo update_tool ef ubuntu-gnome.img  # erase flash memory
  2. $ sudo update_tool uf ubuntu-gnome.img  # do the flash
Copy the code
7) If you have allready plugged an HDMI cable into the board you should see it booting into Ubuntu shortly after the last command has finished successfully

Issue #1: LibreOffice doesn't work

1) Open the terminal and execute
  1. $ libreoffice
Copy the code
  1. javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
  2. Please ensure that a JVM and the package libreoffice-java-common is installed.
  3. If it is already installed then try removing ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/config/javasettings_Linux_*.xml
  4. Warning: failed to read path from javaldx
Copy the code
Installing libreoffice-java-common and deleteing specified configs doesn't help

Issue #2: Wireshark doesn't work

1) Open the terminal and execute
  1. $ sudo apt update && sudo apt install wireshark
  2. $ wireshark
Copy the code
  1. Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
  2. arm_release_ver of this libmali is 'g6p0-01eac0', rk_so_ver is '5'.
  3. Cannot find EGLConfig, returning null config
  4. Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 0
  5. Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Copy the code
Manipulating the environment variables that are mentioned here doesn't help wireshake to run normally.

I would say that probably Wireshark is not the only app that will have issues with Xwayland compatibility layer. I think that for better user experience with GUI software the firmware should ship with Xorg by default, since it's  default for Ubuntu 20.04 for amd64 and probably for arm64 so all the testing was most likely done on Xorg.  

Issue #3: Can't loging into Xorg session

1) First you reboot the system. For some reason if right after the first boot I logout the system freezes
2) After reboot you will be loged in as firefly user, noy you need to logout the user
3) Now when you are at the password prompt push the gear icon at the bottom right part of the screen
4) You have 4 options there 2 with Wayland sessions and 2 with Xorg
5) Select any of the Xorg options and try to login
6) You are going to see the screen blink and you are back at the password prompt
已有 1评分Contribution +12 Pack up reason
BrokenStorie + 12

View all ratings

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 8/19/2022 20:28:48        Only Author  4#
Hey vga84

Thank you for the excellent STR. I've run into the exact issues/bugs you've identified with my exploration too.
Again Thank you! :-D

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list