Print Previous Topic Next Topic

Ubuntu 16.04 with Mali Drivers anyone?

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits

Ubuntu 16.04 with Mali Drivers anyone?

Posted at 4/21/2016 23:10:45      View:6132 | Replies:4        Print      Only Author   [Copy Link] 1#
Hi there,

I didn't keep up with what was going on here in the last months.
Is there a newer Kernel around that is compatible with Ubuntu 16.04 and provides Mali-Support? Did anyone manage to provide a ready-to-go ubuntu-image with hardware accelerated GPU?

If not: does sb. want to buy my firefly rk3288?

Yours
Boredland

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

advanced

Credits
Posted at 5/26/2016 16:41:47        Only Author  recommend
Hi sghazagh,

Sounds great! Does your release include X11 mali EGL/GLES kernel/user space drivers so that X11 apps can use EGL/GLES? And VPU? That would be awesome, and is actually my goal: just to get a normal X11 ubuntu desktop that can run X11 apps like kodi, mplayer, vlc, etc.

Right now I am working on mainline linux. Not quite there yet. I have ubuntu 16.04 running on my firefly with kernel 4.6.x with mali r6p0 kernel and user space drivers, and also drm and armsoc display drivers. Functionally regular ubuntu X11 packages/apps using EGL/GLES (like es2gears, glmark2, ...) run out of the box with mali EGL/GLES support, however performance is terribly slow right now. When running ubuntu's kodi full-screen (1080p) I get 3-5 fps! Have the feeling that the mali drivers are not the bottleneck but more the DRM or armsoc drivers not mature yet. And now things are quite tricky to proceed as this stuff is becoming more complex alltogether and X11 drivers are not my expertise.

Also got VPU service running on some other mainline branch so that should be easily mergable. And also noticed that rockchip is working on RGA support based on DRM themselves.

So things are slowly progressing. However dont know yet if there is decent audio support for firefly in mainline kernel.

Cheers -- mac-l1

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 6/1/2016 05:42:50        Only Author  recommend
Last edited by sghazagh In 6/1/2016 06:07 Editor

Hi MAC-11,
To be honest, I didn't make it too complicated as I only needed the server apps of Ubuntu and I never use that for using as a desktop.

By the way, I have used "libhybris". I am not sure but I think you, yourself has created the 'libhybris' in first place. Didn't you?
So whatever is in there I have used for kernel load and module the rest is just Lubuntu rootfs. But Mali has loaded as a module.

I was asking if we can use mainline kernel for Firefly and everyone replied that it has not been completed as it is a plan of Firefly to use and adjust it.
So did you use any Firefly branch or just the main Linux kernel branch you did use?
Can you share the GIT of the kernel you are using for clear access to that if I wanted to compile and use it as you did?

Meabwhile, did you look at the ARG on 3188 patches in here: https://github.com/lgeek/xf86-video-fbturbo
It seems that they fork and patches works fine on 3188. You might be able to adjust it for main Line kernel for 3288.

By the way, this is the responsibility of FireFly to release all these drivers and patches more often.
I don't know why the chines manufacture forget about their products when a new one comes out!!!

Thanks,

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 5/25/2016 18:21:21        Only Author  4#
Hi,
I have created the Lubuntu 16.04 LTS rootfs with all Mali and other drivers like WIFI,...
It's working fine and Iam using it.
However, I still use compiled version of kernel 3.10.0 and it has no issue.

Sorry I have no time to create the update_release image for you but my company can do that if you pay for it.

http://www.elar-systems.com
http://www.elar-systems.com.au

Thanks

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 6/2/2016 11:45:03        Only Author  5#
mac-l1 Posted at 5/26/2016 16:41
Hi sghazagh,

Sounds great! Does your release include X11 mali EGL/GLES kernel/user space drivers  ...

Hi MAC-11,
To be honest, I didn't make it too complicated as I only needed the server apps of Ubuntu and I never use that for using as a desktop.

By the way, I have used "libhybris". I am not sure but I think you, yourself has created the 'libhybris' in first place. Didn't you?
So whatever is in there I have used for kernel load and module the rest is just Lubuntu rootfs. But Mali has loaded as a module.

I was asking if we can use mainline kernel for Firefly and everyone replied that it has not been completed as it is a plan of Firefly to use and adjust it.
So did you use any Firefly branch or just the main Linux kernel branch you did use?
Can you share the GIT of the kernel you are using for clear access to that if I wanted to compile and use it as you did?

Meabwhile, did you look at the ARG on 3188 patches in here: https://github.com/lgeek/xf86-video-fbturbo
It seems that they fork and patches works fine on 3188. You might be able to adjust it for main Line kernel for 3288.

By the way, this is the responsibility of FireFly to release all these drivers and patches more often.
I don't know why the chines manufacture forget about their products when a new one comes out!!!

Thanks,

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list