Print Previous Topic Next Topic

Overclocking the Firefly/RK3288 Guide

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits

Overclocking the Firefly/RK3288 Guide

Posted at 1/7/2015 06:24:49      View:28248 | Replies:9        Print      Only Author   [Copy Link] 1#

EDIT: Added a github repo so you guys can see changes i make as I push them to github and/or use my source for your own kernel.

https://github.com/Echoa89/Firefly_OC

So here is my quick and dirty guide as to how I have overclocked the firefly and this will probably work for other rk3288 devices if you have source for them.

Here are the main files you will be editing, im starting at the top of the kernel tree for file location

kernel/arch/arm/boot/dts/firefly-rk3288.dts : This is where you will add cpu/gpu/dram frequencies

kernel/drivers/clk/rockchip/clk-ops.h : this is to edit the safety frequency

kernel/driver/clk/rockchip/clk-pll.c : This is the CPU pll table with available frequencies, might need to edit if you reach end of table errors

So first is the firefly dts file, open it up and go to line 642. If you dont have line numbers listed search for "&clk_core_dvfs_table"

these are your available cpu frequencies and the voltages for each. You will need to add your frequency from the clk-pll table here and set the voltage the CPU will use next to it. Normally the max voltage is 1.4v but if you wish to push higher frequencies you will need to raise the voltage cap which is line 63 in the same file or search for " wireless-bluetooth" and itll be just under that with a list of voltages and the regulator set max voltage. I wouldnt recommend going any higher than 1.5v and realistically 1.45v unless you have good cooling. without cooling would be 1.4v. Just after the CPU table is the GPU table then the DRAM table, GPU you only have to add the frequency and voltage, DRAM you will have to add the frequency/voltage and adjust the settings just below for performance modes to use the frequencies properly.  GPU I would keep below 1.4v and DRAM below 1.3v but I also dont know the rated max for either of these.

Next file to edit is the clk-ops.h, this is where the safety frequency is. Default this is set to 1.6ghz and any frequency over that from my testing is not used so even if you list it in your dts file it wont be used unless you increase the safety frequency. This is set on line 11 of the clk-ops.h file and is calculated as ( calc number * 6) / 7 * mhz = frequency. If you want to figure out what the calc number should be then take your max frequency you wish to use, multiply it by 7 then divide it by 6.

Next file is the clk-pll.c, this is the pll table for rk3188 and rk3288 cpu. Default the table lists up to 2.2ghz, and this for most will be plenty as to hit 2.2ghz you will have to go well over 1.4v to make it stable. So far this is the highest I have gone as i dont want to push too much beyond the CPU safe rated max of 1.4v which should get you a solid 2ghz on the CPU.

And after editing those files you just need to compile your kernel and flash the kernel.img and resource.img. Hopefully this helps those who are looking to overclock their board and test the limits of the RK3288 performance. Right now I have mine clocked as follows

CPU 2ghz

GPU 700mhz

DRAM 1333mhz (667mhz ddr in the dts)

My antutu score is between 46000 and 47000 usually.

EDIT: It might be possible to just remove the safety frequency all together and simplify the overclocking but I have been sick and havent tried it. I will try it and add it to the guide if it works without the safety frequency.

Here is the cooling i use for my Firefly, it keeps my temps at 30c idle and 50-60c under load

37x37x25mm heatsink

Fan i had laying around from an old athlon xp

and once i get the thermal pads this will be my full coverage back plate that goes on the back of the firefly :] I cut it from an old geforce 6800 heatsink

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 12/31/2014 11:25:42        Only Author  recommend

Echoa

Ole Master of the clock, forgot to say only 42000 for my o/c, but the true magic I do not know.? Again great results?would still like to?see if we can say the rk3288, can be the workhorse for RK (2.3MHZ).? Have you found the core temp yet.? This might cause a problem down the line.? I think ugoos-Sam may boost core voltage for his Ut3?extreme no promise your?kernel to survive without cooling of some sort..

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 1/7/2015 06:36:42        Only Author  3#

@echoa

Nice, answered my questions.

--cappybob

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/7/2015 06:50:07        Only Author  4#

@cappybob

great glad to have helped :]

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/7/2015 07:14:19        Only Author  5#
pushing my source to github and added a link to it in the opening post.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 1/8/2015 14:11:17        Only Author  6#

@Echoa

Well done! Thanks for sharing the detail.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 1/9/2015 01:28:36        Only Author  7#
Would like to say one thing, changing kernel settings, board presets, voltages, and etc: WILL damage board and components if one is not careful.  Be sure you have adequate cooling systems before changing cpu frequencies and especially any voltages.  Warning these procedures shown here will damage your board and components unless proper precautions are taken, ie proper cooling and monitoring of cpu and board temperatures.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/9/2015 07:50:03        Only Author  8#

@cappybob

you are correct it definitely does have the potential to damage your hardware, especially without cooling if you are pushing clock speeds higher. After some testing i can definitely say the max speed you will get without a heatsink is 2ghz and even then you might have temp throttling under high load. GPU speed i would place at 600mhz max no heatsink, ram may be ok up to 1600mhz ddr3 (800mhz ddr). You will not get over 2ghz without cooling as it take too much voltage to stabilize it beyond that.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/9/2015 07:55:05        Only Author  9#

here in a bit will be pushing update to the source on my github

changes

-------------------------

Increase ram clock/voltages to 800mhz/1600mhz ddr3

Remove CPU safety frequency for simpler CPU overclocking

Adjustments to kbase files adding freqs to dvfs table for Mali GPU

Adjustment to PVTM table for CPU for eventually re-enabling it but leave disabled for now

--------------------------

Changes from previous commit

-------------------------------------------

addition of my ragingmolasses cpu governor ported to the firefly source

--------------------------------------------

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 1/9/2015 11:11:33        Only Author  10#
added pictures of how im cooling my firefly to the OP

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 7/22/2023 16:56:29        Only Author  11#
Overclocking a device like the Firefly RK3288 can potentially increase its performance, but it also comes with certain risks. Overclocking involves running the device's processor at a higher clock speed than the manufacturer's specified limit. Please keep in mind that overclocking may void your warranty, cause instability, and potentially damage the hardware if not done carefully. click here

Use props Report

High mode
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies |Upload

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list