Print Previous Topic Next Topic

Firefly RK3288 Firmware

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits

Firefly RK3288 Firmware

Posted at 11/22/2015 20:14:59      View:5698 | Replies:9        Print      Only Author   [Copy Link] 1#
Hi all,
I have created my own Lubuntu 15.10 rootfs and it comes up ok.
However, some of hardwares does not work as I believe I need firmware for them.
For example, wifi.Where is Firefly RK3288 firmwares? I cannot find them.

Can anybody please guide me where can I find all required firmware for kernel 3.10.0 for Firefly RK3288?
(I even searched the stock Linux image 14.04 but this folder is not even exist!!!!!)
Thanks,

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 11/24/2015 04:25:35        Only Author  Come from 2#
Last edited by sghazagh In 11/24/2015 04:26 Editor

WHY FIREFLY TEAM NEVER HELP IN ANY POST OF THIS FORUM!!!???????

Ok guys,
I don't know why this forum is death. Maybe not many people have this board?!!!

anyway, I have found that the system.img file located in 'hibryis' folder is mounted to /system folder by running the script available in same folder.
I actually have used that as a service in Lubuntu 15.10 and could get all the drivers and firmware the board needed include wifi.
So all are working fine now on my Lubuntu 15.10 OS.
(I can share the image if you are interested to have it. Just leave me a comment)

My question is that, where is the source of that "system.img" file which contained all the firmware and drivers?
I am pretty sure it' has been created by a tool to make a .img file of all created resources like kernel modules,.....But what tools do that? Collecting them manually to create this image is not logically correct to me!

P.S: Do not confuse this system.img with Android system.img. They are completely different and this one mostly have drivers, firmware and kernel modules.

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 11/24/2015 07:30:45        Only Author  Come from 3#
Ok,
And I answer myself again...
system.img is just a image of android system build included libhybris.
In fact, you have to build/compile Android with "libhybris" installed and then the system folder is a folder includes all drivers and firmware but no need any APK, apps folder.
You have option to make a tar ball and then extract it as /system in your board or make an .img file of Android system and mount it at the time of boot.

So, I have loaded Lubuntu 15.10 (ELAR-Systems Version) successfully with Wireless, Mali and all on Firefly RK3288 along with Android and another Lubuntu 14.04 in other partitions all in one eMMC. (3 OS on on eMMC)

Thanks,

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

registered members

Credits
Posted at 1/21/2016 07:18:30        Only Author  recommend
sghazagh Posted at 11/24/2015 07:30
Ok,
And I answer myself again...
system.img is just a image of android system build included libhy ...

Hello

Kernel 3.10.0 appears to be dead, is your image built with a newer kernel? if so please let me know which version as I would be very interested in getting the image you have built.

Thank you

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 4/21/2016 23:29:13        Only Author  5#
Can you please share the image?

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

intermediate

Credits
Posted at 5/25/2016 11:30:31        Only Author  6#
Last edited by sghazagh In 5/25/2016 11:40 Editor

Sorry for my late reply.
I actually hadn't seen your comments as I am not coming regularly here when I saw the forum is not that active.

I came here because I just have created the newer version of my image with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Came here to remember what I have noted to use on my new image.

I actually still using the 3.10.0 kernel.
It's still reliable and can be used with Ubuntu however having the new kernel is definitely better.
So I asked guys in the forum to see what is the latest kernel officially available to be used with FireFly RK3288, but apparently there is no one to answer me.
The wiki guild is talking about kernel 4.4. But I see in the forum they are intended to work on newer version of kernel even before finishing the other work on 4.4.
So it made me confused and do not know what version is available to use.
One guy even patched the 4.5 and 4.6 kernel to work with Firefly WIFI but HDMI and output still does not work.

Hope we get a clear answer to know where we are and what we have at the moment to play with FireFly.

1. This a the problem we always have with Chines companies making the SBC boards. They leave the product alone after they lose their interest on the development or are busy with other product.
  2. They forget they have sold a product and forget the product needs long-term support!!!
Copy the code

Use props Report

Credits

Prestige

Contribution

new registration

Credits
Posted at 6/12/2016 13:17:52        Only Author  7#
Last edited by meziden In 6/12/2016 13:24 Editor

Hope that someguy can share a ubuntu image just with almost things work.
I am just a starter in the embedded Linux,freshman in university,and not such good at dealing even simple problems without support from the forums and the team...
The "official" Lubuntu 14.04 includes a lightDM,which causes crash and reboot at every logout. I tired to install other desktop environment such as XFCE and re-configure the LightDM but all failed. Then I tried to modify the ubuntu server image ,but when I met problems in all kind of drivers, no one replied me how to solve it. Another unofficial 14.10 image works well but the software sources are not suitable for this non-LTS version.
It's too hard for us noobs to build a image by ourselves.
I was dead drunk,because even some devices with Mali-400MP / Geforce ULP@400MHz has got full GPU accelerating in xfce4/unity,but the powerful Mali T-764 is still enjoying the full screen tearing with xrender.
What's more,the official team seems to be developing a new product.
Maybe buying a new Linux-oriented product just like Jetson K1 is a wonderful choice.But unfortunately, I am not that rich as a student.

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list